Sunday, May 31, 2009

Terrific Twos

One of the best things about Matthew's age is the way he is now able to express himself. He will often ask for things by saying please, and respond with a thank you. He also makes several requests throughout the day for hugs, and kisses. Lately he will grab a book or two, crawl onto our lap and say "hold you" which means hold me, and "cuddle Matthew." I think God supplies us with these moments to balance out the trying two year old moments. Matthew is such a smart cookie, and he has already discovered ways to get what he wants by wearing down mom and dad with temper tantrums. It's amazing how persuasive a screaming two year old can be. It reminds me of how we approach God sometimes, kicking and screaming when we don't get our way and blaming him when we feel crummy. I know I have acted this way toward God in my life. Thank goodness He has even more patience than we do, and it reminds me to make sure to fill my life with more quiet "cuddle" moments with Jesus...and maybe it will help Him have even more patience with me.
Speaking of God, this has been a year of testing my faith like no other time has been. I don't blog too much about Matthew's peanut allergy, but it is always on the front of our minds. I want to keep Matthew safe, like any parent would, but feel overwhelmed at times that a peanut could threaten his life and stop his breathing in moments. You never realize how many things in this world contain peanuts until you are told to avoid them at all costs. It has been a daily struggle for me to put Matthew's life in God's hands and just do the best we can to keep him safe. (Truthfully, Greg does a much better job than I do at trusting God.) I get a little overwhelmed sometimes, and am a bit overprotective. All prayers that God would completely heal Matthew of this allergy are appreciated, and for me to stay grounded and not become a hovering over-protective parent in the meantime would help too :-) Thanks for reading our blog...I'll be updating all our posts for the month today...so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Nothing like parenting to teach us about the heart of God. It's God's way of growing us up spiritually. As a parent we're focused on the wellbeing of our children, not just on ourselves anymore. We see through new eyes! Your faith will grow stronger with each crisis, big and small, and they will come! Praise the Lord for His constant help for every need!